Hop Growing But WHERE??

Mike

Hop Growing But WHERE??

#1 Post by Mike » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:59 pm

I think this real photo postcard is by H.J.King but where is it? This very distinct creek crossing should be easy to identify. I guess the best clue is the hops growing behind the house.
As far as I know hops have only been grown around the Bushy Part area and around Branxholm in the North east. I believe hop growing only started around Branxholm around 1970, so that that counts the North East out. So Bushy Park area is my best guess at the moment. Can you help?
scan0256.jpg
scan0256.jpg (518.13 KiB) Viewed 1166 times

Malcolm Groom

Re: Hop Growing But WHERE??

#2 Post by Malcolm Groom » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:04 pm

Mike,

Not that I am suggesting I know the location but hops were also grown near Huonville by the Frankcombe family from late 1890's along the banks of the Huon River. The hills in the background seem too prominent for the Bushy Park area. Hops were also grown nearer to New Norfolk also by the Shoobridge family and at Valleyfield by the Warner family and at Glenora near present day Meadowbank property

admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by admin » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:53 pm

I am reluctant to admit it but I spent my early years at Electrona. Pupils from Snug Area School regularly gained exemptions from school to go hop picking with their family out the back of Margate. The country inland from Margate - Sandfly, Kaoota etc was a hop growing area in the 1950s, and looking at the image it looks very much like that part of the world. I am fairly certain its around Sandfly somehere
Wonderful card by the way
Pete

Ross Ewington

#4 Post by Ross Ewington » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:53 pm

If Pete is right re approximate location, it may be on the Pelverata Road at Sandfly .....I'll put it on my list for a Sunday drive "with camera".