First or second allocation?

songenaz

First or second allocation?

#1 Post by songenaz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Hello every body.
A well known french dealer is selling this stamp.
Barred numeral 37
Barred numeral 37
vente behr 2014 . obl.jpg (72.3 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
My question is : first or second allocation?
I guess the stamp is from star watermark or no watermark issue, and then it could be first allocation as Jericho which is not so common and rated RR by Randall Askeland.
Looking for difference between first and second allocation in Tinsley's book, it's not obvious for me as "3" looks as the first but "7" looks more as the second allocation.
Can you help me, please?
Many thanks.
Laurent

admin
Site Admin

Re: First or second allocation?

#2 Post by admin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:35 pm

The best guide to the First Allocation numerals at the moment is the 'Green Book" vol 1 , p 34 where you will find a description of each number. But, there are some problems as each numeral seems to have been made individually so that the "5" on one numeral may look a bit different to the "5" on another, for example. Other numbers are less likely to show small differences though. Some are very obvious, such as the "4".

The first allocation "3" had a very definite flat top, like the "3" in your example while the "3" in second allocation had a definite curve in the top of the "3".
So, I think its is First allocation 37, Jerico. I dont have an example, but here is the Second allocation 37, Georgetown - have a careful look at the "3" and you will see the Second allocation "3" is different to the example you have shown. You can see the "3" is in this Second allocation numeral has a curved top , so your stamp seems to have the First allocation numeral. Your stamp could still easily be the lined 4 watermark though, not the star or no-watermark as the Lined numeral watermark 4d was issued in August 1857, while the Second allocation numerals were not issued until 1861 .

[attachment=0]BN-37-second-allocation.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
BN-37-second-allocation.jpg
BN-37-second-allocation.jpg (39.44 KiB) Viewed 1483 times

John Hardinge

#3 Post by John Hardinge » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:51 pm

It's the first allocation 37. Characteristic flat top to "3".

songenaz

#4 Post by songenaz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:56 pm

Thanks Pete and John for your answers.
John, you wrote in 1996, The Post Offices of Tasmania. 2nd Edition
Is it possible to buy a copy of this publication, or where can I find it?
Thanks for your answer.
Laurent

John Hardinge

#5 Post by John Hardinge » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:45 pm

The book cannot be obtained now, I think. However, hopefully 2105 will see a new publication through the TPS that lists all that and the CDS data as well.